Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Why People Skills Matter

I just recently had a phone conversation with a business vendor for my home.  A particular appliance wasn't working and I needed a repair person to come out as soon as possible.  The person that took my call just so happened to be the mechanic and began to inform me that the earliest he could get to the situation would be at least a week.  I asked if there were other repair people available or someone else I could speak with and he said that he was the only one in the office.  Sensing his disconnect, I restated the urgency of the matter to which he replied that if he knew sooner about the need, he could have worked it in sooner...  What?  I was appalled...to which I responded, "That is insulting...!"  I explained to him that if that particular appliance had evidenced any signs that it needed repair earlier, I would have called him then.  I told him that his office would be hearing from me again.  And then I said goodbye and hung up the phone in disgust. 
This is only an example and not a rant.  Had it not been for an apologetic call from the supervisor later that day who heard about my conversation with this repair person, I would have changed carriers all together.  What's the point?  People skills matter - always!  Restaurants lose customers, churches lose attendees, companies lose employees, schools lose students and marriages lose a spouse because someone didn't see that people skills were important enough.  Dealing with people in a caring, understanding and patient way helps to retain and even gain these key players in our organization and personal lives.
Granted, people will not always see it from our perspective: people can be frustrating;  people can be impatient; people can be demanding; people can be difficult.  But without a renewed knowledge of how to deal with personalities and humanity in general, our success with them is up for chance, at best.  Take time in the early part of the new year to sharpen the ability to relate well with others.  Listen intently; serve energetically; care patiently.  Make people priority, because without them, what we are doing and selling won't matter at all!

What area of your people skills can you improve in the new year?

No comments: